Design delightful and productive, products, services, and experiences for people to deliver value to the business.
A combination of the business case, technology, and user experience design
creates the experience people have interacting with technology.
Business case answers the “Why” question, why will this drive revenue.
Technology is “How” to build and engineer the solution.
User Experience answers “What” to design for customer satisfaction, ease-of-use, and delight.
+ Increase ease of use and customer satisfaction
+ Improve conversion and sales
+ Provide a competitive edge because products are pleasure to use
+ Lower the barrier to entry
– Command higher training costs
– Increase support costs
– Hurt organizations with negative word of mouth
Design Thinking Process
- Can turn any business model into a delightful experience and powerful brand.
- Helps create products and services customers desire.
- Use any of the following, in any order to create wholistic experiences.
- Gather insights and inspiration for the project.
- Immerse the team in the problem space; the users, the tasks, the context, the competition, and the technology.
- Conduct research and analysis for deep understanding of the customer, their behaviors, beliefs, and expectations.
- Ethnographic field research (observations, interviews, contextual inquiry)
- Research interpertation and analysis (affinity diagraming, personas, use cases, workflow models)
- Conceptualization (sketches, conceptual models)
- Human factors and ergonomics research
- Design reviews (heuristic evaluations)
- Competitive experience analysis
- The magic starts as great concepts become visual.
- Generate numerous concepts that provide a vision which stakeholders can grasp and feed into.
- Brainstorming, innovation, and invention
- Interaction and user interface design
- Web and information architecture
- Industrial design and product design
- Mockups, sketches, and prototypes (low to high fidelity)
- Branding, visual, and corporate identity
- Work closely with the team to ensure solutions account for the technical constraints, market considerations, and end user requirements.
- Ensure that final design is buildable, sellable, and usable.
- User interface specifications
- Graphic design, illustration
- Industrial design, 3D visualization, CAD, and materials selection
- User testing including usability evaluation and reporting
- Accessibility and 508 compliance
Build and validate. Follow through with teams to solve issues that come up during implementation.
- Final user interface specification or style guide
- Implementation ready graphic resources
- Motion graphics, videography, photography
- Development and coding